If you're still unsure whether to file a complaint after reading our fact sheets or the answers to these three frequently asked questions, contact us.

Q. Should I File?
A. If you think that your rights have been violated in Westchester County because of discrimination, you should contact the Human Rights Commission. In some cases you may be referred to other local human rights agencies to file a complaint. The Westchester County Human Rights Commission office will make sure you receive timely and confidential assistance.

Q. When To File?
A. You must file a formal written complaint within one year of the alleged discriminatory act so it is important to contact us as soon as possible. We will begin by asking you to complete a Statement of Facts relating to your claim of discrimination.

Contact us at:

112 East Post Road, 3rd Fl.
White Plains, NY 10601
Phone: (914) 995-7710
Fax: (914) 995-7720

Q. What Will Happen?
A. If you have been the victim of discrimination, what you may be entitled to could include:

  • Reinstatement in employment
  • Back pay
  • A cease and desist order stopping the unlawful discriminatory practice
  • Compensatory damages for harm caused by the discriminatory conduct
  • Housing that you were wrongfully denied
  • Corrective action on reasonable accommodations pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

In many cases, if both parties agree, the Human Rights Commission will help to mediate or conciliate your claim of discrimination. This alternative dispute resolution method can resolve your claim in a more timely and cost effective manner for all involved. Our office will advise you of all options available to you.